Goodyear was far ahead of its time by revealing a tire made of Neothane, a synthetic polyurethane rubber that could be poured into tire-shaped molds and baked in a 250 °F (121 °C) oven, back in 1961. Tires made from this material were far easier to manufacture than traditional tires, which required multiple layers of rubber as well as fabric. One cool feature is that these tires were translucent, so Goodyear took advantage of this by adding dye to the rubber, and then mounted lightbulbs inside the rims. Read more for two videos and additional information.
What set these apart from simply adding lightbulbs to any tire is that the driver could control the illumination of these individually or in pairs from a panel mounted near the car’s steering wheel. This means the tires could also be used as turn signals or brake lights. Unfortunately, neothane tires didn’t perform well in wet weather and melted under heavy braking, which meant they never made it out of the concept stage.
- Inspire kids to recreate their favorite scenes from the Fast & Furious movies with this amazing LEGO Technic Dom’s Dodge Charger 42111, an awesome replica model of the classic muscle car
- With 1,077 pieces, this cool building set provides a fun challenge for kids who love toy model cars; Inspired by the original 1970s Dodge Charger R/T, this faithful replica is packed with realistic details
- Authentic features let kids recreate the thrill of driving the real car, with moving pistons, suspension, steering system and air blower; After playing, kids can show off the model in the famous wheelstand position
- Introduce youngsters to a world of building fun with LEGO Technic sets; With awesome vehicle designs and cool functions, the fun goes on long after the model is built
- LEGO Technic building kits are thoroughly tested to make sure each one meets the highest global safety and quality standards; No batteries are required for this fun race-car toy
- COMPATIBLE: The LED Light Kit is special designed for Lego 42111, you can light up your Doms Dodge Charger Race Car Building Blocks Model. PLEASE NOTICE: LEGO Set is Not Included !
- POWERED: Powered by 3 AAA batteries. NOTE: Batteries are not included in the package.
- AMAZING LED LIGHT EFFECT: The LED light kit can gives the building blocks toys shine in the dark. Greatly added to the enjoyment of the basic Lego build.
- EASY INSTALLATION: Install firmly. You can check the Instruction guide for more details. PLEASE NOTICE: For environmental protection, the product manual is an electronic version, not a paper manual. If you dont find it, please contact us after the purchase.
- PERFECT GIFT: Ideal birthday, Christmas, party, family gatherings gift for kids and adults. Suitable for people over 6 years old.
Once the tires reach the market—and that could happen in a few years—auto stylists may use them to carry out a car’s color scheme, perhaps matching the tires with the upholstery. And it’s not at all unlikely that milady will want tires that enhance her wardrobe, her hair, or even her eyes,” said Goodyear in a press release from 1961.